Sunday 4 September 2016

'Reveal, conceal' at BPN Architects, Birmingham




I've been busy over the last few months working on a new collaboration with BPN Architects in Birmingham. 

I'm really excited about this collaboration and the theme of my project which is 'Reveal, Conceal' , inspired by buildings and architecture around the area which the BPN Architects is situated.


I started by walking around the area surrounding Mary Street, taking photos and getting a feel, essence of place.  I noticed a lot of construction work taking place with some buildings wrapped in scaffolding, netting and plastic sheeting, either brightly coloured or devoid of colour.  These wrappings will eventually be removed and reveal new or renovated buildings underneath.






Walking along Newhall Street into the city through the vistas of the side streets I glimpsed some of the iconic Birmingham buildings which were also juxtaposed with other interesting buildings.  One of the views that I've concentrated on is of Birmingham Library is from the side and with a concrete, brutalist style car park in front of it which isn't the view that's it's usually seen from.   At this distance the colours are less saturated with atmospheric perspective, I've included this on some of the prints along with others that are more vibrant and colourful.




The work will be for BPN’s loading bay and inside the building. I am making a series of prints themed ‘Reveal, Conceal’, referencing the changing landscape of building work interspersed with glimpses of iconic buildings around the Jewellery Quarter.









1 comment:

Olga Norris said...

How exciting! I look forward to seeing what work arises from your researches.